View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 03:18 AM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245
Default Timing belt - questions about an "easy" version.

Hello!!

I'll just copy and paste a message i posted on a volvo "afficionados" FB group whod consider that a volvo equipped with a D24 is just not a volvo.

" She had not hit the road for 10 years, and yet she carried me home without a glitch (500km), and the old unused gasoil made the mill work alright ( I just feel sorry for the folks behind me on the roundabouts, the smoke was solid dark!). Now I would need some advice from the diesel experts here. I'm looking for changing the timing-belt and Im not so confident in my friend's hack to do it nicely. He crafted himself a tool ( you can see it on the below photo). He told me to use it to maintain the crank pulley, and then just do the job without removing the block (just the radiator!) . He underligned that there were no point at using special tools to block the fuel pump or the camshaft as if one stops the motor naturally, there is absolutely no reason for the camshaft and the pump to move. At the condition, of course, that one handles cautiously the water pump when it comes to the removol / tension of the timing belt. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of such a technique..? Thanks !!"

So i'have red some threads here that consider the change of the IP pump belt as totally necessery for a car that has not been used for years. Can you confirm that?

Have a nice day