View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You are looking for the entire 700 series D24T fan assembly with both the plastic fan blade and the viscous fan clutch?

You might try just grabbing one from any gas 4-cylinder 240 or pre-1992 740/940 (NA or turbo) in a junkyard. There are very slight differences between the gas and diesel fans but not enough to matter in terms of function.

I don't know if the clutch fan will fit on a 240 though -- might not be enough clearance to the radiator. I think someone tried it before and made it work somehow, but it might not have been a bolt-in affair, seem to remember a little custom work was involved.

The oil temp sender might be a tough find, probably was available as an original Volvo accessory from their catalog, but good luck finding one of those now. Probably are a few sitting on shelves around the globe but likely not where they will be easily tracked down unfortunately. However, this might not be too hard of a part to improvise or get fabricated yourself. A standard VDO temp sensor might feed the gauge that I assume you have. You could have a machine shop drill and cut threads into the existing drain plug for the sensor of your choice. Or could do it yourself, but would want to use a mill or drill press because if you're using a sensor with straight threads and a crush washer for sealing, the hole will have to be perfectly true to ensure the washer doesn't leak.