View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Fuel gauge

You are doing a very nice swap! Share it all

I dont mean to clutter your nice swap thread but i have this 740 volvo gas-diesel question here...
My car was swapped too, it is a 1986 wagon body that was born to be an auto gasser turbo originally but then received a 1985 d24t unit mated with the standard shifter tranny. It BTW has been an amazingly reliable build ... many thanks, huge credits and respect to v8volvo the professional d24t bricker.and perhaps Ngoma.

I have a question relating to the fuel gauge because my gauge reads incorrectly. It marks empty when fully filled. It climbs to the right (towards Full) as the tank starts getting empty. It also does that pretty inconsistently (showing pretty late or last minute) but it climbs towards full and as/when the tank gets empty it reaches the Full mark. When i fill the tank it moves towards the very left to mark "empty". Always been doing this ever since, not a new issue.
IDK why it works this way. What can it be and is there a suggested fix?
Facts that i know:
I never removed the in-tank parts and i did not mix up the wires behind the instrument cluster.

Left side is red zone = empty, right side is Full.
But the gauge works the oppositecway and really incorrect in terms of how slowly it picks up to warn about an "empty" tank. ...that is the factory Full marking on the gauge that itself is located on the left side of the cluster and ***the right side within the fuel gauge***

Thanks for any ideas.
About the crossmember....yes mine is 85 and has cracks both sides ...that i drilled at the ends of the cracks to stop a possible spreading of the crack(s).

I should either get it welded, boxed or replaced one day.
I agree with v8 that it was a good idea for you to use a later than 86 donor with a more modern body.

Your fresh swap-sights of both gas and diesel fuel systems might reveal the secret... Maybe it takes minutes to fix. But i do know that a working fuel gauge in these bricks is already a half miracle...so ..i should have no complaints and be happy that it "works"

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.