View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
So could the turbo be kaput but smoke free?
Best to test it with a boost gauge as discussed below.

Quote:
Or are they really that slow standard and flat ? It does not feel boost assisted really. Acceleration increases at 3k but no noticeable kick at all or boost noise etc.
There is a moderate power increase felt that starts between 2500 - 3000 RPM, but not a neck-snapping explosion that you would feel in a modern hi-performance car. Sometimes I can hear the turbo whine on mine but not always. Depends on ambient conditions, and never when the radio is on.

Quote:
Should I run a t piece and test boost? What should it be if so?
Yes, good idea, and not hard to implement. Tee it into the small tubing running from the rear of the intake manifold to the boost diaphragm (the "flying saucer") on top of the injection pump. IIRC, D24T stock boost should be around 10 - 13 PSI, D24TIC may be higher.

Quote:
The car has done 256k miles so far on standard everything major i suspect. Its got good service history but its soldiered on it seems beyond a water pump, thermostat and small bits.
You will want to get on the TB situation as addressed in your other post.

Quote:
Also on the intercooler piping etc front and cooler itself, are they the same as petrol turbo units?
Sorry, IDK, not so familiar with the IC as unfortunately we didn't get the IC version here.