View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
Another unknown is how to get the tachometer to work. The original tach must have been wired to something in the distributor. I don't think there's a "W" terminal on the distributor I took off the Audi 200.
Another alternative that might work for running the tach is this product:
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1192.htm

These can take almost any kind of input signal (w terminal, square wave from a hall effect sensor, etc) and convert it to a standard tachometer output like from an ignition coil, which is presumably what drove the tach originally in your gasser car. You could find another alternator that has a W terminal, if your existing one does not -- although it might have one already, as for some reason even many gas VW/Audi products had unused W terminals on their alternators -- and swap that on to run the converter from, or they offer a flywheel tooth sensor also that apparently you can bolt onto the bellhousing somewhere and it will pick up the speed that way.

I used one of these Dakota converters in a diesel swap into a gas Volvo 960 some years ago and it worked great, though that was the simpler previous version which I think they called the DSL-1. This updated current model supposedly does everything that unit did and more, though I have not tried one myself.

Their phone support is very good too so you could probably talk to them about your situation and they might be able to advise on what would work best.