View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Yeah, that tranny mount is an important point too, and not just because it saves wear and tear on the motor mounts when it is healthy... One time a few years ago I ended up with a good running 245 Diesel that was about to be sent to the scrap yard because the owners had been told the trans had given up -- gearbox was popping out of 2nd and 4th gear. Had terrible NVH problems as well -- it was terrible to drive due to these two issues. I looked underneath and saw that the tranny mount had crumbled to pieces, rubber was all gone and the two metal end plates were just sitting against each other. The engine and trans had moved back far enough that the gear lever was hitting the back of the opening in the floor, pushing it out of 2nd and 4th, and the motor sunk down as it moved back so that the oil pan was resting hard against the steering rack! New mount for $10 fixed all the problems.... turned out to be a great car.
That's actually happening to mine at the moment! Basically a few times I've been driving along at ~50 and it feels like the gearbox was slipping, or like the lockup was jumping in and out (although that shouldn't kick in until 58mph).

Realised it was only happening when I had a lot of weight in the car, and the rear dropped (thanks to rather rubbish Spax springs). My mount isn't crumbled, but it's not good. I'm fairly sure when the back drops the angle of the box is changing too much from the weak mount and the selector is right on the edge between Drive and Neutral. Figured last time it happened if I pull the lever slightly towards "3" it's fine.

I *might* be doing an M90 conversion on mine though, fingers crossed!