View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
Plus, with the transmission mount replaced the engine is now sitting more forward and not pulling back on the two front mounts.
Yeah, that tranny mount is an important point too, and not just because it saves wear and tear on the motor mounts when it is healthy... One time a few years ago I ended up with a good running 245 Diesel that was about to be sent to the scrap yard because the owners had been told the trans had given up -- gearbox was popping out of 2nd and 4th gear. Had terrible NVH problems as well -- it was terrible to drive due to these two issues. I looked underneath and saw that the tranny mount had crumbled to pieces, rubber was all gone and the two metal end plates were just sitting against each other. The engine and trans had moved back far enough that the gear lever was hitting the back of the opening in the floor, pushing it out of 2nd and 4th, and the motor sunk down as it moved back so that the oil pan was resting hard against the steering rack! New mount for $10 fixed all the problems.... turned out to be a great car.

FYI, I just bought a new pax side motor mount from Volvo last week -- P/N 1273736, about $49 MSRP at the FLVD. This is first time I have ever had to put one of these in, and it only went bad because whoever last had the motor out of this car forgot to put the heatshield back on that goes above the mount on that side -- heat from the exhaust broke it down. With the shield in place they seem to last more or less indefinitely....