View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Exhaust valve stem seals 3 of 6 look shiny 3 of 6 look dry

Some more pictures...

valve cover definitely leaked constantly. the valve cover gasket was good but the nuts were not properly tightened or not tightened enough

I usually call the manifolds` side/passenger side "the oil side" and I call the driver side of the engine "the diesel side", for a reason but you could also call it the power steering fluid side by the common leaks

A harder brush toothbrush with a somewhat flexible handle, dipped in diesel, works wonders. I plugged the oil hoses and tipped the engine over enough so if anything falls or leaks at all, it wouldnt end up inside the engine through the intake/exhaust holes.
Diesel-dipped towel twisted upon no-lint microfiber towels did the job for me today without spraying chemicals and without getting fluids in.

Finally some visible progress.
Manifolds must be cleaned up tomorrow and I`m planning to disable and shut off the egr holes in the future. On the 744 donor car, the factory EGR syste was STILL IN PLACE as it was installed in factory.. interesting bc I have never seen one of those intact as it was originally installed in the factory. COOL! All parts were present, wiring and all, all joints etc and still connected everywhere and nothing missing..

I did keep BTW everything from underneath the hood, except one thing: the brake booster and the master cylinder. There`s no way I could figure that egr system out again though. and the cars dont need it either. i think..

Other things I decided to remove and keep from the donor td car:

-front struts tubes etc as a unit, springs from the diesel donor car are diesel-specific but I didnt know the rest isnt.

-rear differential and accessories, bolts etc as a unit

-zf22 auto transmission with linkages and bellhousing but not the shifter (according to a pro td volvo person it is diesel specific too)

-some emblems and badges from the diesel car

-a brand new looking nissens radiator, the fan shroud and some rad mounts and the ac fan at the front, the ac system

-various plastic bits behind the grill area

-td relay for the glow system and all wires from underneath the hood for reference (engine harness too and all connectors etc)

-also kept the shaft from between the zf and the rear diff and marked them

-some tranny mount and shaft mounts

-front exhaust pipe that starts at the turbo and connects to the rest of the exhaust (downpipe?)

-UNFORTUNATELY I had no time left (had to repair my own car that towed this stuff home) and later had no good access anymore either, to remove the turbodiesel diesel filler neck unit at the trunk.
That is def a diesel specific thing and I really wanted it but was exhausted and excited and irritated and it got damaged through the struggle working it off. Next time...

-also kept the diesel crossmember from this 1985 car bc it has no cracks for now, mine does have cracks,

-battery cables, battery tray finally I have one in good condition after all these years,

-i brought home the instrument cluster which may be very diesel specific actually. shows 182000 miles.

-volvo toolkit from the trunk and some various interior pieces but not much, it was all gone meaning faded broken ugly and cracked

-the car also donated a left side rear mudflap that mine needed bc a few winters back I chopped mine up with a snowshovel ughh

I am having a hard time removing a connection to separate the ac condenser from the piping that is the drivers side one out of the two that both run on the passenger side to the inside of the car.
That weirdly shaped pipe is so weak and fragile and somehow someone some day really overtightened it. That`s exactly the same ac pipe i broke on mine and have no ac whatsoever. I really need that pipe and must remove it from the condenser.

Ideas on how to do that?

I tried pliers, wrenches, torch etc nothing helped, maybe there is a miracle magic solution of liquids out there?
It may need a soak in some serious chemical to release the bond. it is the pipe that starts at firewall and runs besides the turbo area and arrives to the ac condenser.....there it got stuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200620_225922.jpg (517.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_225931.jpg (600.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_225938.jpg (607.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_221407.jpg (502.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_210956.jpg (804.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-10-2020 at 12:46 PM.