View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Nice! Good save!

I remember seeing that car come up in the orphan thread on tbricks a while ago, figured when I saw what it looked like half sunk into the ground and with all the body damage it would be a goner for sure.

Great stories, glad you scored some good parts off it and a good running engine!
Yeah it was awesome to finally have a td popping up `near me` (200miles UGHH). Nothing went smoothly but all in all it was great adventure and keeps coming.
Thanks for the motivation!
Yes the car itself had to be scrapped due to extensive heavy rust and a nonexistent paintjob too unfortunately. Interior was also nearly horrible.
It must have been a very nice car to drive, esp in 1985 and I`m sure the only owner loved it all all along and partly that`s why it never got sold until it completely went from no use.
Sad. I`m sure they loved this car and it got the parts it needed, from Volvo.

I found paperwork in the car that shows paperwork and tabs, insurance etc from a 1986 Volvo 740 wagon Turbodiesel too, which they also owned.
I wonder where it is, I may ask the owner about specific history on this car, or whatever they can remember about the life of their diesel. Maybe they have some info on how and why the sedan got parked.

According to the initial ad and also the story I heard from the scrapper tower is that there was a dui involved and the car had some rust and wouldnt pass the strict state inspection then got parked. It was listed with info stating that the starter was dead so we can figure some.

I ran the motor today again for a short time about 90seconds and tried to see also how it starts after that. Seems to be a nice one.
I`m going to include some pictures in every post. The belts front and back are Volvo belts. Are those still available and installed at/by the dealerships or am I looking at ancient setups?
I`m guessing that this one owner car when if it had trouble it always ended up at the Volvo stealership and got set up properly there and dressed up with oem parts. Clearly someone bricksmart did the work on this thing and the parts I`m seeing tell the story.

Im just hoping for now that the HG isnt gone and the fog/smoke/steam/vapor is not exhaust gases but evaporating leftovers of the coolant still inside the passageways of the motor. Thru the thermostat housing I mean. My wobbly shaky videos show some of that.

BTW, car has a 3-notch headgasket and I can read what exactly it has on.
It is also possible that this motor got rebuilt at some point just as the injection pump was. If it was, I cant tell for now but as I said, I will ask the PO and share here.

They forgot to do the Italian tune-up, for sure. Probably elderly folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200620_144809.jpg (611.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_192226.jpg (770.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_193806.jpg (508.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_205032.jpg (828.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_205638.jpg (803.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-10-2020 at 08:54 PM.