View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Overdrive type 5th gear manual transmission m46 fluid change. Needs ATF `F` type

Ngoma, thank you for your response, though unfortunately I only saw your message after I finished this project.

I probably need to go back in there and do it again because up until I started the fluid change I thought there was only one filter
and didn`t really look around for another one.
This is proof that I never changed fluid in an m46.

Could you explain where exactly a 2nd filter is? (I can see a scratch mark on the largest round thing that I did not do) I am guessing you access that filter under there.
Update: I found info online, yes there is a damn 2nd filter in there.
Brickers, read info here (if it is not OK to link in another volvo website on this forum then OP please delete this part as you wish):
https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo...rs_prices.html
Here`s another link directly to the filter (to see how it looks):
https://classic-volvo.com/140-142-14...-type-j-p.html

In my case, that 2nd filter ALSO might be clogged or at least covered with some fine metal paste.
In this m46 today the larger square/rectangular screen/strainer on the bottom of the overdrive pan was buried in very fine metal paste, grey in color. Not just a little bit, it was truly covered. Also the magnetic drainplug was pretty much covered in fine paste.
Using half a bottle of brake cleaner, gently but directly, worked very well on the strainer, and it got pretty clean. No big chunks of metal, no larger visible dirt particles found, luckily. The bottom of the `pan` (the inside of the overdrive cover) was fully coated too with the same grey metal `cream` also the large bottom magnet too, and the inside of the `tube` that leads into the wire cage screen.

It all cleaned up really nicely and there was no damage, also, you are right Ngoma, the cover gasket was in good enough shape to be safely reused and there are no leaks anywhere whatsoever.
I rechecked it twice after testdrives.
The drain and filler plugs both have now a new copper washer on them and tightened using common sense (i didnt have the greenbook with me this time).
Maybe when I flush this new fluid out again in a few miles down the road, maybe 50 or so.
Then, I will make sure to take out and clean the 2nd filter that I missed today.

The old fluid that came out looked really dark but not murky,milky not full of metal parts; but oh boy it stank! Imagine a rotting marsh area in record Summer heat OR this: by true memories of his safari expeditions, my helper bricker-buddy said, `disgusting elephant poop, full of rotting grass` .
AT THAT POINT HIS SOCIAL DISTANCING SKILL IMPROVED BY 100%, TO 12FT.

About the fluid amount.

I captured it all but lost some at the lowering of that overdrive cover.
I then contained it all in a 1-liter Seltzer bottle that didn`t even get nearly full!

2.4 quarts is the fluid capacity of the m46 unit.

The required 2.4 QT equals with 2.27 liters (=more than 2 full bottles of that same Seltzer bottle, 2.27 bottles to be exact).
I only captured about 850milliliters at the maximum, which is about 0.85liter. Definitely not 2.27liters (2.4 quarts). The 0.85liter equals about 0.9 quarts. ONLY*

That is not even close to 2.4 quarts! I did not lose too much fluid on the ground but some of the old fluid may have remained `trapped` inside the m46.
Still... i didnt like the facts.

Then, 2 quarts made it in, not a drop more.
Yes, the car war warmed up, not just the engine, I drove the car 10miles on local roads so the tranny fluid was warmed up to be drained properly. Yes, the car was completely level and I did check it twice. I even took a 6t jack to slightly lift the left side about 1cm higher than the right.

I didn`t want to end up adding less fluid than what it could take, also if it wasnt parked on a totally flat surface it would take less (if a car/road tilted to the left)

So, 0.9 qt came out, 2qts went in.
This is with the overdrive cover also removed and all old ATF drained.
I`m a little confused about this because I don`t see leaks anywhere and luckily the area And the bottom of my car is very dry.

If someone told me that this was the very original m46 fluid from the factory and never been opened since 35years ago, I would certainly believe him.
(Except that I expected old fluid to be much thicker and totally `worn` but surprisingly it was still pretty much `liquid` ).

The tranny now shifts much better although I did not have any shifting issues earlier. Never abused the car and it never gave bad sounds, was not throwing itself out of gears etc.
But, now, it feels so much more right!!
I got back the original Volvo feel from when I drove these cars in the 90`s. The result is most noticable in reverse, first and second gears; but the overall feel improved a Lot, as well. And in and out of 5th is more responsive and smoother. As I said, it just feels so much more right.
What a great day, the tranny feels so much happier. And my mistake will result in a tranny flush for her.

I will go back in 50miles and use new ATF again, one more time, and get that 2nd filter cleaned. Any experience with the o-ring that is in there? Does it ususally look bad? Reusable? Maybe I should have it but these days ordering something is pain. It takes weeks to get parts. Plus hey it cant be 50bucks, damn?!

I`ll add pictures for those who did what i did: never change(d) fluid in the manual tranny for so long.
For me, it was worth changing it (great results).
BTW The cost was 2x5.99=$11.98 +a bottle of brake cleaner spray ($2.50) + (5.99 for a spare 3rd bottle of ATF)

The leftover bottle of ATF was used for topping up the power steering reservoir and tomorrow I can fill the rest into a new fuel filter. If I still have some left of the 3bottles after all of that, I`ll add it to the main fuel tank (diesel car*). Not bad!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-08-23-01-55.jpg (12.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-08-23-02-32.jpg (21.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-08-23-03-16.jpg (18.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-08-23-05-00.jpg (20.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-08-23-01-12.jpg (14.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-08-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: grammar, added pictures as well