View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
According to the manual and a previous comment too, there is a `filter` or `screen` that must be flushed/cleaned/declogged. The overdrive unit must be holding some fluid too, I am sure it should be drained too by removing this cover.
Where is a filter located? I saw a nice easy-access, flat cover right under the overdrive unit, held by 6 bolts. I assume that is the filter /screen that is serving the unit.
Is there another filter anywhere in this m46 unit?
Yes, a cup-shaped coarse wiremesh filter under the largest round screwcap cover visible when you remove the OD rectangular finned oil pan and the main filter.

I've never seen either of these filters dirty or clogged. They are too open to trap much, unless there was catastrophic damage that caused larger chunks to break off and circulate. Usually the magnetic drain bolt is covered in fine metal paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
also, can I get away reusing the overdrive bottom gasket, do you think is it doable that way? Is that gasket still available somewhere? (update: yes, found it)
The OD oil pan gasket is usually in good shape, but YMMV, and remember your Murphy's Law. Get a spare, and you won't need it.