View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

1995 would be new enough that it should not have the problematic wiring insulation I believe, although that doesn't mean it couldn't have a bad connection or chafed wire anyway.

Let's try to be systematic about how we troubleshoot this. I suggest starting from the front and going through the system piece by piece until we find the issue. First thing to check will be the sensor itself.

The sensor (sometimes also called a sender or sending unit) should be located near the front of the cylinder head, close to the glow plug for the #1 cylinder. I think you have seen it there before. Here are the first two questions:

1) Once you have found the location of the sensor, can you confirm if the sensor has ONE wire on it? Or does it have the later style sensor with a TWO wire connector?

2) Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter?

Depending on which style sensor and connector your car has, the first diagnostic step will be to look up the correct resistance values for the sensor on a cold and warm engine. Then you can test your sensor's actual resistance readings using an ohmmeter and see if your measurements are close enough to the required values.