View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default TGIF- thanks god it`s Volvo Friday!

Thank you for the nice words and many special thanks for taking the time to try to answer some of my questions in the future.

Today again was a little busy around the d24t engine but there was some good progress in the end.

The day started by me trying to find the article that goes thru step by step how to reseal the VE injection pump that our cars have.
I found it, available online.
Such a beautifully edited, creative, smart, useful, well made article; million thank yous and much much respect goes out to Tom B who perpormed the `horribly` well detailed job and uploaded such a well-writen write-up for us and for later generations to use.

What an amazingly professional job, how nice it is to know we have someone who knows what to do with the hundred of parts that lay inside this sometimes problematic injection pump!! Very happy to read this article every time I open it. The pump refurb job seems more and more `doable` each time... but ... I`d never in a hundred years would attempt to play around the full refurb because it is such a huge project... and skills and knowledge and experience are all equally important for best results. Also special tools and superb creativity. If I ever need a rebuild, my pump ships North to Tom, for sure.

In his article I can see a nice factory tool for removing the shaft seal from the rear of the pump. I had to search for it in my d24 toolboxes and I found it, also found a Bosch bag with 3 seals in it, lots of o-rings labeled for d24t on the blue/white retro Volvo stickers, and a full ve pump reseal kit and some misc pump orings all labeled.

I was glad. I went out to the garage and started eyeballing the pump but decided to NOT use the tool to remove that seal bc

-pump doesnt leak
-pump was overhauled by a good shop
-also the Bosch seals did look quite different from what I can see in the pump I have here.
The Bosch ones I have do not have a rubber coating on the entire face and they are green not red as the one in my pump is.
At least they measured the same so i could have done it I think but again decided to not do it because I didnt want to end up stuck with something that didnt need a fix then `broke down`. The Murphy`s Law would have or could have provided me with some trouble...

I wanted to redo the rear shaft seal, BECAUSE when I got this engine, first thing I saw was that the rear belt was way too tight, and that is definitely not good for the pump seal there so I wanted to at least redo that seal. Next time... not today...

SO,

I decided to go forward with installing the pump on the engine instead
and finish up the entire pump side of the engine,

meaning installing everything that goes/is on the driver side of the d24t motor.

Then I realized I need a black high heat paint for the turbo and for the previously silver-painted exhaust manifold so I rode the Shadow to Autoz.ne and also loaded up some 8 bottles of brake cleaners. Sprayed the parts and...

...Installation of accessories then started...

I love it that the IP brackets are glossy black. It separates the farm green from the olive and creates a nice tone with the valve cover.

I cleaned out all holes, threads on the engine and applied some grease on the bolts
and set the large bracket up on the engine and placed the satin olive injection pump into its home

and stared at it for a while. I have to say: I loved it.
I think it came out awesome.

I installed the now black throttle linkage but first I had to assemble the annoyingly springy throttle spool and place it onto the bracket then get it all up on the IP, set it right and lube it up in the meantime. I made sure the rear pump belt was not overly tight, a happy belt is not tight over there. I have the Volvo belt tool but went with the `feel` of tightness and it will be totally fine. If this belt skips a tooth or breaks, there is no engine damage (but that`s not true for the front timing belt!).

Not so smart, I installed the inj pump on the engine but DID NOT put the bus bars up on the glowplugs, ughhh.
Anyway. I did it later and learned the hard way. I am not afraid of doing the 6 glowplugs now anymore, because I went thru the tight-space-process at least 6-7 times this week only lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200626_150800.jpg (436.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200626_134702.jpg (530.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200626_150719.jpg (491.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200626_162322.jpg (662.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200626_165027.jpg (526.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-26-2020 at 11:57 PM.