Thread: Hard Start
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Thanks for your detailed response. It definitely doesn't start quickly under any condition other than it's been running for some time and is immediately re-started. I suppose I should replace the plugs, it's just #5 and especially 6 were so difficult I was hoping not to do it again for a while. I've read there's an easier way involving removing the injector hard lines and vacuum pump, I'll have to look at that again.

The relay issue is resolved now, but that could be a clue. Afaik the plugs were never energized for much longer than they would be normally, but from what you say it sounds like having them on when the car is running shortens their life. A few times I had to get out and tap on the relay to get it to shut off after the car started. In any event, it was as difficult to start even when the plugs were brand new. I have the updated relay now, I was hoping that might be part of the issue but it seems unrelated.

-Valve lash does need to be adjusted, last record of service is in something like 1994. I've been putting that off, but if it could be related I will look into it.
-I set the inj pump to .90mm. Initially I had it set to .75 (cali spec), but it runs much stronger, quieter and smokes less at .90. I have all the tools for that.
-There is a small leak at injector 6 around the base of the injector. Just enough I can see small air bubbles when it is running, not enough to leave a drip. I'm not sure what the procedure to deal with that is, none of my greenbooks cover it. I don't know about uphill/downhill, I only ever park on flat.