Thread: Oil psi
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Pretty normal, some engines seem to take longer, others not. The oil pump has a very long and large-diameter pickup tube that takes a long time to fill if the oil pump loses its prime overnight, and some pumps seem to do this. My theory is that it happens because of wear in the pressure relief piston bore, but that's just one idea. Anyway, it's not a cause for serious alarm, fairly typical thing for these, and doesn't seem to affect the engine's lifespan.

If you keep the oil level filled up to the max, or actually even overfill it a bit, it usually lessens this syndrome a bit since the pump doesn't have to suck the oil up so far. Parking facing downhill improves it too, but that's not always possible...

What kind of 5W30 are you running? These engines do a lot better with synthetic oil in them -- 5W40 is a good choice. 5W30 OK if it's a *diesel-rated synthetic* and you're not running in hot weather. I find mine go through oil if I'm running hard in hot weather with 5W30 in the sump.

This is in an F-150?? Sounds like a cool rig, what kind of transmission does it have in it? How's your MPG?

Happy new year and welcome to the forum!