View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon
Default First drive

I got it on the road yesterday to test the cooling system, engine power, etc. Once all the gunk burned out of it it ran very well. I couldn't go to long since it was running pretty hot, not overheating just hot. I re-plumbed the waxstat supply and will test it again this week. I could hear steam in the system somewhere and have been fiddling with it for a few days. I had to raise the overflow bottle/reservoir about an inch to make sure the coolant level was above the tubes in the radiator. I think all should be well after I do a few Cascade dish detergent flushes to clean out the radiator, there's a lot of rust colored water coming out each time I flush and refill. I know there was quite a bit in the head so want to get it real clean.

The power is similar to the 2.4, very smooth, not like the 1.6 so I'm very impressed with that.

The oil cooler thermostat seems to be working fine, the temperature at the cooler after a wide open throttle run was 197F. The cooling fan seems to be working correctly. I also added a heat-sink for the Audi resistor when the fan is running on low speed and it was an absolutely necessary item.

More updates once I get the cooling system complete.

Still haven't figured out where to connect the W terminal from the alternator to get the tach working but I'll do some interneting to see what's up.
1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg