View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Tuesday Turbodieseling

Today I originally planned to paint the fuel hard lines to the olive color I used for the injection pump. I decided to get a spare (nonturbo d24) set painted then swap them once it dried. Bad idea because the d24 - d24t hard lines arent exactly the same. To be continued... 2 of the pipes are differently bent, to make up for the differences between the nonturbo vs TD pumps themselves. I could grab those two and make a d24t unit but then it is easier to have the current d24t one painted.

So I had to come up with a new project idea... which was to sort through some of the boxes that hold the misc parts from the donor car.

When taking the engine out of the car, I removed everything that was under the hood. Including the entire engine harness and everything electrical, for later reference, relays, connectors etc;
but the donor car also had pretty bad quality wire insulation, all of it has been slowly but surely biodegrading away.

Next today,
I started building the cooling system for this refurbished d24t.

I came up with all the hoses I have, from 4 engines and some nice new set of hoses as well. Mackay is a good Australian brand.
I found a large bag of blue stainless ABA hose clamps too. I also cleaned up all the used ones that looked to be in good condition.

I did the same for the used coolant hoses that came from the donor car. They cleaned up very well and are okay.
Some small sections were totally bad but other sections and entire hoses were in very good shape. Also, made by Volvo OEM / NOS hoses, that are getting very hard to find now.
Most of the donor hoses really did clean up very well and are in good condition.

Some other parts of the cooling system I had to build from scratch and some of it I already did for another engine so it came handy today.

Then I started lining up the pieces and installing them onto the engine and securing them the right way, making sure to provide easy approach of the clamps for the future when this makes it into a car. I also have a brand new looking Nissens radiator from the automatic TD donor car so I am planning to use that for now.

I will list here the hoses that I installed on the engine,
and, on another day I will get all of the VOLVO part numbers from these hoses and list them into this thread for later reference for those who need to know.

I also installed an 87Celsius Wahler thermostat, a new o-ring.
(The upper and lower hoses you currently see on the engine are for the d24 nonturbo car and I put them on only bc first I thought I`ll use one of my d24 nonturbo radiators for this engine. I`ll remove both and add the proper d24T hoses.)

I have brand new hoses for the d24t but the Volvo hoses from the donor car also seem to be in good condition so I`ll use them on the engine until it gets in a car (then I think I`ll decide to use the new ones up).

The hoses installed today (no particular order):

There is a short connector section in the rear of the engine. The hose connects the long metal coolant pipe (the one that runs behind the intake) with the rear of the d24t cylinder head.

Radiator upper hose
For the coolant that runs into the rad to cool down.
part number: (this is everything I can see written on the hose, the part number may only be a certain part of it)
1 257 347 IMP 3787 (for d24t engine)
1257364 7462 0883 (for d24 nonturbo engine)

Radiator lower hose
This is the longest hose, it transfers coolant back to the engine after cooled in radiator.
part number: (this is everything I can see written on the hose, the part number may only be a certain part of it)

Hose from above thermostat housing
It runs towards the oil cooler.
1257446 IMP 7462 0699

Oil cooler coolant hose #2, front
This connects the front of the long metal coolant pipe and the oil cooler.
V VW 072 117 413 (this is the longer hose of the two oilcooler hoses)

Breather hose
From intake valve to the front of the turbo
MEO VW 072 117 414

Breather hose #2
From top of the valve cover to front of turbo.
Part number 1328650

Coolant hose
From the top of the upper rad hose housing to the Ip coldstart device, top.

Coolant hose
From right side of the thermostat housing until the T joint below the vacuum pump.
I built this so IDK part number.

Coolant hose
Between T joint and Ip coldstart device, bottom
I built this so IDK part number. I can share what size and diameter of a hose I used.

Coolant hose
This hose starts at the right of the T joint and I connected the end into the rear of the cylinder head.
12 and 13 is normally between, by factory setup, because there is the heating in the car, right?

Coolant hose
Into heater core
I`ll read the Volvo oem part number off the hose once I have some time.

Coolant hose
Out of heater core
I`ll provide the Volvo part number from the hose once I have some time.

Normally, you would have 12 and 13 in between the rear of the head and the `T joint`.

One of them is part number 1328 110 IMP 7462 03 10
But the other hose`s part number is partially worn off: 1 x (3or2?) x (5?) 7 x (3 or 8?) 4 x (3 or 8?)

The T-joint under the vacuum pump, has a drain valve.
Volvo 1328458

Oil separator mushroom on top of valve cover
076129 101 A or MANN 39 111 70 901 MHO

The hose that connects to the rear of the head and has a 90 degree bend:
I used a VW part, GATES 71423.

The only thing the cooling system needs is me to unwrap the Nissens radiator and put it on.
Now that the engine starts and runs, pump holds fuel and no air leaks,
I changed my 1/4 (wrong size) transparent injector return lines to the proper `Made in Germany` black, quality hoses.

What else did I do today?

Found a few new PS bushings and added them into the bracket.
To `finalize` the fuel system, I added permanent clamps onto the IP for the in&out banjos and other joints, return etc.

The donor car had Volvo belts on everything, TB, rear pump belt, alternator, accessory, ac, everywhere.

Some of the part numbers are here for your reference, it is from the 3 front belts (ac, p steering, alternator).
Volvo did a great job stamping the sizes on the belts, that`s why I`m including that photo.

d24T engine mount part numbers:
Left 1272676
Right 120621 6 IMP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200630_200132.jpg (571.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200630_231911.jpg (493.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200701_010338.jpg (527.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200701_013656.jpg (810.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200701_012124.jpg (698.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.