View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245 GL d6

Car was parked in 1999, so it has been sitting for more than 20 years.

I checked the belt, it is on the tight side, can just twist is 45 degrees. Going to be fun to retension it and reset the timing..

I think the injector might still be leaking from the return line, even though I replaced them. Will try tapping the connector back in a little bit.

I wanted to reroute the breather into a catch can, to see how much oil it throws out (or consumes).

Yesterday I had some time so before redoing the cooling system I threw in some cleaner and drove around for a bit, trying to do an ''italian tuneup''. Seems like it worked some times, for a little bit. First full throttle it blows some smoke, oil and disgusting stuff, then gets better for a bit until it blows disgusting stuff again after a few minutes. Made a video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tzrv3qmuW4

Doesn't really look like too much fuel here, more like oil / water? Maybe it needs a bit more tuning

When checking the cooling system (there are some leaks) I noticed the big lines going to the radiator were quite hard, as if there was quite some pressure on the system. Took of cap and when revving the engine, coolant starts to overflow. Symptom of headgasket going bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzketosM9l8

Or just overfilled? Threw in a bottle of cleaner so the level was right at max.

Went on with the fuel system but couldn't find any clear fuel hose at stores nearby, so will order some.

Next plan:

Check fuel system with clear hoses, new fuel filter.

Need to replace some coolant lines, especially the one running from the back of the engine to the firewall has a big tear and the one from the front of the engine to the cold start device. Some others are leaking a bit at the connectons so new clamps for all of them. Can't find any of them for sale anymore, could make them myself with some silicone + copper / steel tubes but would prefer original ones.

More italian tuneup after fixing the cooling system so I don't worry about losing all of it and overheating the engine.

Going to try again this week.