View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Default Keep glowplugs on for longer?

I'm running Veg now (usually 50-60% mixed with diesel or misfuel). Car always starts, but sometimes on a lumpy 4/5 cylinders if the temps are a bit low. I actually have no Cold Start at the moment because it seized and Volvo want £65.00 for a replacement wax stat, so the timing 0.96mm is probably a bit too retarded for cold starts.

As a cheap temporary fix until I find a good secondhand cold start, is there any way I can make the glowplugs stay on for the first 10 seconds of engine running, rather than just pre-heating them and starting when they switch off? I think this would help get the remaining cylinders going before I drive off.

I know I could take the relay out, put a standard 100A relay and 80A fuse in linked to a rocker switch in the car, but just wondered if anything can be done with the standard glowplug relay? Or maybe there is some reason the glowplugs should not be "lit" during the engine running?

Engine has been well serviced already - monark nozzles at 163bar, glowplugs, valve gaps done, oil changes, etc.