View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Part 2

Didnt want to lose my text...

So now it has 6 new glowplugs that I installed and redid the bus bars with new insulators bc i was already in there.

I`ve been hand cranking all the time and also did some using various batteries and jumpers etc. The alternator is removed and not on the engine as of now.

I looked inside the intake and it has oil but nothing fully clogged up and yes sludgy but only a layer which is normal.

The Garrett T3 turbine has no in-out or sideways play so that`s good too.

I used new seals and removed the injectors for checkup but havent tested them at all, no equipment to do so. Also new return lines.

The car had oem Volvo coolant hoses etc and mostly everything labeled by volvo.

Someone knew about these cars, probably the dealership.

The valve cover gasket is the 1piece rubber type, in good cond.

THE CAR WAS LAST LEGALLY REGISTERED IN 2012 AND EXPIRED IN 2014. that`s s x years, but the timing belts shows no wear that indicates that sitting, i cant see deteriorating rubber, same for the pump belt in the rear. IDK. will ask.

Though, the rear belt is too tight. I`ll check current timing out of curiosity and redo the belt in the rear. The frnt def can serve for now to have a start up.

I bought 2 gallons of 5w40 mobil1 td oil and added a new mann filter

the motor oil is drained and i havent put in the new one.

The waterpump and the idler seems to be in very acceptable condition (visual, no play)

Timing belt cover was fully dry inside and no signs of oil leak in there, good.

Removed the vacuumpump and saw a fresh looking oval gasket, probably original and not just an oring or what i usually see: gasketmaker

The valves have shims that look very nice and no signs of bad oil used, they are in the range of 3.50-3.85.
All move nicely and dont appear to be `stuck`

The starter was dead, a Hitachi small version.

I installed a good Bosch unit from my d24 nonturbo and tried spinning the thing a little, of course 12v taken from IP and 30seconds with 5min breaks.

Every time I hit the starter I felt like it wasnt spinning fast enough. Took the life of the great cond battery that i took from my other daily d24t.

so i grabbed another starter i have as a spare, from another nonturbo. That is a rebuilt certified unit, remy, mexican type and had a rebuild. Sizewise it is huge. That`s what is on now.

BUT

The engine wont turn easily unless I get the glowplugs out or the injectors.
I then kept the injectors in and took out all 6 plugs and thats where i am now. I can spin the motor by hand and it has no weirtd feel to it. no assymetric, `feelable` cylinder movements whatsoever, but

when the plugs and injrs are all in and tight, the starter wont turn it over, AND
even by hand, the engine build up compression that is too big to let it turn smoothly.

I suspected that it was bad starter motor or a tired battery or stuck rings etc at first but all those i close out by now. Thinking that I partially hydrolocked it at the carwash or just by turning it a lot.

on day 3 i added 1 ML (1milliliter) of new motor oil through the inj holes to possibly free up something if stuck at all. no change.

it is i think tons less than a tablespoon bc i did use a medical syringe to do exactly 1ml. no joke, it was minimal and i was careful.
So i dont think i hydrolocked it.
My thinking need to focus on something else. maybe the injectors leaked in? i have no idea anymore.

Also, if it ever hydrolocked (lets say it did), it never ran like it so there should be no damage. What i mean by not turning smoothly is, that at each and every cyl it gets too tight but it wont stop completwely. i can hand turn it through that spot and keep going. No hits felt, no noise, no internal sounds, it is smooth but there is too much compression.

I wonder how that is possible. lets assume it is hydrolocked.

wouldnt it need to squirt out after so much spinning?

I even moved the engine upside down and tried every angle and comprssed air and spinning by hand and or battery etc. by starter i mean. Everything that was there, should be out by nowm but as soon as i tighten the plugs and injectors it has ``too much compr`` (lol) at each cyl as i crank that starter wont hold a nice and steady roll. it wont be able to turn it as it should.

But again, nothing inisde feels stuck at all and when lugs are all out, engine turns like smoothest possible.

I should get some sleep bc it was several long days with not much sleep. Im sure im missing something..

Loads of info, i know, but this is the situation here.

Pictures and other details tomorrow...

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-21-2020 at 09:47 PM.