View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: 1990 Volvo 940 TD & 1989 Volvo 760 TD
Default Engine dies at idle

Hi everyone this one is a bit of a head scratcher but hopefully someone can help who might have experienced a similar problem.

This has happened twice now. Sat at traffic lights after being on a motorway/dual carriageway, foot on the brake waiting for them to change green. All of a sudden it will stall, no warning no stumble or anything. Then it won't restart, cranking for 10 seconds at a time and nothing almost like its run out of fuel.
First instance I turned it over in gear to get out of a live lane on a round about and it restarts, second time I did the same but it didn't restart until I had got out of everyone's way and lifted the bonnet to make sure all was okay, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, went to try again and it starts no problem. In both examples it didn't stall again that journey.
My current thinking is it's something electrical causing a loss of 12v to the solenoid. The solenoid itself is actually quite new as I had the old one leaking about a year or two ago and I replaced it with a genuine Bosch one.
Also something to note is I currently have a brake light bulb playing up and since this only happens when I've got my foot on the brake maybe it's something to do with the bulb out circuit.
Hopefully someone can help. Many Thanks in advance
Tristan