View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yes. And with a long wait for glow plugs on a cold engine in the middle of the night, and very little ability to successfully start cold without the operator knowing to wait for them, hopefully the grand theft auto folks may suffer a little deterrence with our cars too. So we can hope that a D24 Volvo, especially one with a manual trans, is fairly low on the chances for being a crime target.

Though one thing I will say on the other hand is I am not sure the CC thieves are necessarily smart enough to know the difference between a cat and a muffler. They can look similar enough without knowledgeable inspection, especially in the dark etc. Plenty of cases I have heard of where folks have come out to discover a muffler sliced off, and sometimes the (harder to access/partially hidden) cats still fortunately sitting intact upstream. Karmic justice for the ignorant thief that wasted his time, and at least a muffler is cheaper to replace, though not any less hassle for the vehicle owner.

I actually knew a guy who had an early 2000s medium duty Isuzu flatbed truck that had the muffler stolen off of it while parked in a business lot two summers ago. An old diesel, so no catalyst, but it did sit nice and high off the ground and had a massive, massive muffler right there in plain view and easy access. The thief probably thought he was about to hit the jackpot when he stole that one.