View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You can usually reuse the pax side mount -- it only gets "pushed" rather than pulled on during normal driving (i.e. when moving forward) plus the heat shield keeps exhaust heat off it pretty well, they rarely seem to need replacement. They are more difficult to find - last time I needed one the only source was Volvo dealer. It should be a little taller than the LH mount, as you described.

Getting to the upper mount pedestal bolts on the pax side mount, if you want to remove it, is tricky but usually access to the nut on the top of the mount is not too bad, and the mount has a little dowel pin so it will not spin when you try to wind the nut off. On that side to unfasten the bottom half, you have to remove the aluminum pedestal that bolts to the crossmember (3 nuts on top, an L-shaped stud plate on bottom right above the RH rack boot), unlike the driver's side which has the lower pedestal welded integral to the crossmember. Last time I got an LH mount from Volvo it was rather spendy so unless you have reason to suspect a problem with yours, IMO just as well to save the hassle and leave it as-is...