View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
well i have loosened the allen key bolt which secures the sensor but the sensor will not move no way it seems like its glued into place ! but its never been off since new 25 years ago! so do you have any advice here ive read that someone had to break theres into little bits to free it of it must go through a locating hole in wheel housing i think
Yes you may have to destroy the sensor to remove it if it's corroded into the knuckle. That problem does commonly occur in "salt belt" cars here in the US and I believe road salt is used in many places in the UK too, right?

You could try spraying some penetrating oil on it and giving it a few days to soak in, that can only help, though sometimes not enough to make a real difference, but nothing to lose by trying it.

Yes you are correct, it goes through a hole in the knuckle and the other end then pokes out and sits close to the tone ring (some call it a "chopper wheel", it is a Hall effect signal generator) that is mounted to the wheel hub and read by the sensor. I can't remember how this all looks on a Volvo 7/9 series as I have not had this part of the car apart in many years on an ABS equipped model. Someone else may know better and be able to further clarify, or you may want to refer to a service manual which should show some pictures or diagrams. In general, on some vehicles you can get enough stuff out of the way to pound the sensor out from the other side, which can be a quick way to get rid of one that's stuck. But in some designs that approach is labor intensive, if for example it requires disassembling the front wheel bearing, front brake, etc. Take a look at it and you will probably be able to see what needs to be done.

But easiest outcome would be if you can get some penetrant to free up that sensor and twist it out from the back side with some pliers, where no other parts of the car will need to come off for access.