View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goteborg Vapenfabrik View Post
A malfunctioning cold start device should not prevent it from starting. Double check the alignment marks on the injection pump sprocket and the injection pump bracket. If they are way off at TDC, you willing need to rotate the camshaft sprocket in the manner described previously. You could be off a full millimeter, too far or not far enough.
The alignment marks from the injection pump to the pulley? They are very close. A millimeter or two off could be an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Not a good way to time the IP. Good possibility of cracking the high pressure injector hardlines, or pre-stressing them for future breakage. If you must rotate the IP, loosen all the hardlines first, then retighten them afterwards, not too tight (16 ft-lbs? Check the forum or greenbook for exact spec) to not deform the fittings.

This post has a better method of timing the IP. There are others here on the forum. We need to make a sticky for IP timing.

http://www.d24t.com/showpost.php?p=6253&postcount=16
Yes, I was able to get the correct timing by loosening the camshaft bolt as discussed on previous page.

I'm concerned that I may have damaged the threads from over tightening the hard line connections. if I'm not able to stop the leak, I'm not sure what my options would be. All I can think of is trying to remove the lines and get silicon tape around the fittings.

I did more fault tracing in the pre-heating circuit, and found that all six glow plugs are dead. i'm not sure if this is unhappy coincidence or the result of me grounding out the strap to glow plugs against the head when I was fooling around with a pry bar Either way, the replacements are on their way so I will hopefully be able to try again this weekend. Any tricks for getting out #6 glow plug? I had to practically crouch on the battery to gain access.