View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Redo

Thanks again for joining the egr talk...

Yeah I thought these `antique` manifolds would be challenging to weld, ugh.
The crack is at the very center of the lower lip, kind of vertical and symmetrical. One of my pics I think shows it. I`ll check again..

Oh yeah, the turbine wont handle it well because this cement looked like it solidified into a hard material. I should get the plate off, clean it well and NOT USE THE PASTE where the plate meets the hole, only around the hole and on the plate between the stud holes.

I misundestood your post about the reuse of the gasket bc I actually couldnt see a gasket in your photo (at the lower egr spot, not the intake one) I`ll look at it better. I read they were in good cond but I still didn`t think you actually put any in. OK

Was your mesh-like gasket a metal mesh gasket? Interesting. I`d like to see it if picture found or get a link because I think my 2-layer stainless steel gasket itself was not flat enough to not be interfering with the desired flatness of the mating surfaces. I didnt use any gasket unfortunately.

So... the plate will come off and I`ll JBWeld it back on, using better looking (&safer) copper nuts and much less paste. And a gasket, if a nice flat looking & heat tolerant one shows up in my search. I should also chop off most of the stud as it looks really ugly sticking out a lot (nope!! bc then it gets harder to fish it out one day) UGH

I appreciate the input... useful advice, as always.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-18-2021 at 06:38 PM.