View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

Hello V8, thank you very much for the detailed and above all compassionate answer, it warms my heart!

I understand. Now, replaceing the valves, shims etc is, even if the material is cheap, is not a DIY job, if I understood well.

I unfortunatly do not have the means to pay for the whole repair of the head (which already cost me 600€ ) . Well , to put it bluntly, I'm kind of broke!

My only solution to make the engine run again for the moment would be to put the head of the car I took part from recently (86 GL, with refurbished VE pump)

It is from an engine that had 600 000km. Now it really is a shame to put back a head from a tired engine when I could have make my motor working with a head that had 110 000km and 600€ of refreshment.

But when I think about it, at the moment I drove the donor car home (which I was illegal but it was such a long time without having head the sound of the D24) to tear it apart, it ran pretty well! Cold start was absolutly impossible, I had to go for 2nd gear with some speed, towed by a friend, otherwise it would just not start. I gave the bottom of the motor to a friend, and it happened the pistons were scratched, drilled (it is not the good word. I mean there was holes sometimes. piston rings dead...that explains low compression)

But if I understand correctly , a tired bottom affects compression, but a tired head...just do his job normally? the car had no HG issues...

the only thing that bothers me is that i dont remember the number of marks of te HG...I think it was 3....but i m not 100% sure...is there a measure to ensure I take the good thickness?

thank you again

Last edited by dahicori; 05-12-2023 at 05:50 PM.