View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default weird shaking of the d24t motor and shifter in cabin esp at idle

Sorry for the late replies, I`m having tons of dieselbricking going on these days...
To answer your question,
I decided to use the cheaper quality mount (the one that is made in India) and will probably call it a day for some time.

The excessive vibration of the shifter and the engine itself too, was actually not caused by a bad or too soft of a motor mount.
I thought the mount was bad quality but instead it was my injector on the 2nd cylinder that caused the shaking I had since a few weeks ago.

I figured it out on a long trip Sunday, after driving the first 100 highway miles, it started knocking bad. The familiar injector went bad sign/noise... Only at certain (lower) RPMS though, so bc i was on the highway I decided to keep going, after some major visual checkups of everything else (I had another 120 to drive) and I made it there NP through huge uphill sections of mountainous PA.

The next day I reinstalled my old worn one and it ran great immediately after (I have been storing properly all of my 6 old injectors near the spare wheel for months after 2of6 GTDs went wrong LOL so that was worth it).

Due to this vibration issue I installed a new tranny mount and redid the engine mount again so that`s the positive outcome of the bad injector story.
Happy bricking everyone!

As much as I love the idea of a structurally and chemically more stable mount, I think the poly mount would provide a new feel to the car, maybe too harsh and hard ...and I wouldnt like it. It would prob feel like an overinflated set of tires which i hate. Really bad roads in NY, too.

Also, my crossmember has some typical cracks on both sides so I do need some rubbery mount cushioning until that gets fixed or swapped out one day.

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-16-2020 at 10:24 PM.