View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I would guess that is correct, something is stuck in the injection pump due to extended sitting.

Be CAREFUL: if it is currently stuck in the idling position, then if you do manage to get it to free up and move, it could also stick in a different position where the engine runs at higher rpm or even tries to run away! I would recommend you be ready to stop the engine somehow in case this happens. Here are good methods for that (sometimes switching off the key alone doesn't do the job):

- Remove air inlet at turbocharger (BEFORE starting engine) and keep a correct size block of wood handy to clamp on the front of the turbo and choke the engine
- Be ready to cut the fuel inlet line between filter and injection pump with a sharp razor
- If automatic transmission: find and be ready to use the manual shutoff lever on the side of the pump, though note that in some runaway conditions this will not work
- If manual transmission: stall engine by dumping clutch in a high gear

Keep these tricks in mind anytime you run the car, as you can destroy the engine and/or transmission and/or get injured yourself if it runs away.

For fixing it: I have had good luck filling the injection pump with automatic transmission fluid then let it sit for a few days to dissolve and loosen old fuel that is jamming internal parts. Can fill the fuel filter with ATF then take the filter inlet line and the pump return line and run them both to a gallon jug with more ATF, then run the engine on that for several minutes until well circulated, then shut off and leave it sit till the next week. It may be magically be cured after this treatment -- I have seen it happen. Remember to keep the fuel filter in the loop when doing this -- don't run it directly off the jug of ATF without the filter in line, as then the pump will be unprotected.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forum!