View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
I had to share the sprocket, the correct one is on the right.
I’m pretty sure the one on the left was modified because someone had built a pump with the cam plate 180 off., now I’m unsure if my leaking pump that I pulled is 180 off or not. I’m assuming it is as I usually keep the sprocket with the pump when I remove them from the engine.
If you look closely you can see the factory notch has a chip in it and the 180 notch looks factory, but it’s actually cut deeper now that you compare a factory sprocket with it side by side. Crazy! I don’t know how many needless hours I spent tracking non-issues because of that sprocket!
Crazy. That is a nasty trick, and everybody would have fallen for it -- why would you ever have expected there to be a second notch, after the first pump timed up just fine using that non-factory notch??

Never going to get back the time that part stole from you, I'd be pretty mad at the thing.

However, if it makes it any better, thinking about it now, I bet whoever put that notch in that sprocket suffered for a long time too before they figured out they built the pump itself 180 off. There's a long chain of misery attached to that sprocket now, everyone will be better off when it is melted down for scrap.