View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 1990 Volvo 940 TD & 1989 Volvo 760 TD
Default Burning oil and blue smoke

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what might be causing my problem. On my 940 TD, the one that had the cam sprocket on the pump belt spin. Recently while cold it has been emitting a worrying amount of blue/white smoke when under heavy throttle. When I say cold I mean it's not until I've been down the daul-carriageway at 70 mph for 30 minutes that it goes away and back to a puff of black smoke on acceleration with no sign of blue or white smoke at all! The pump timing is set to 0.95mm and the car starts instantly with no smoke at all. It's not using any coolant and the oil drops around 5mm on the dip stick every month this is the same as before the smoke started happening. I drive the car every weekend and it gets good long trips up the motorway for road trips/parts runs for other cars. I'm fairly confident it's oil that's being burnt as with the side exit exhaust having the window open it stinks of burning oil but only when the smoke occurs. I'm suspecting it's the turbo but I had this rebuilt in September 2020 and only put about 22,000 miles on it since then. It has had a boost controller on it in that time running 15 psi at full throttle but its not often I run at that pressure. My thinking is once the turbo gets properly hot it closes whatever gap is created between the turbo housing and the seals but I'm no turbo expert so not sure if that is even plausible. Sorry for the long explanation.
I hope someone can help, thanks in advance.
Tristan