View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

There are plenty of members here who are running naturally-aspirated D24's, so despite the site's name, of course the versions without turbochargers are welcomed as well. You'll notice that right next to the big "D24T.COM" logo on the top of this page, there's a picture of a non-turbo D24 sitting there. The motors are mechanically identical in almost every major aspect, so advice and info that applies to the turbos usually applies equally to the NA versions.

It is possible to add a turbo to the NA cars and a IIRC a few around here have done it, but the turbo motors have some internal differences meant to support the turbo and compensate for the additional stresses it creates. No data on the long-term health affects of "plus-T" NA engines; I suspect one can last a long time if the motor is otherwise strong and the driver is careful about using the power and avoiding situations that lead to high EGT. Certainly would be possible to hurt it if the fuel were turned up and the driver was leaning on the pedal frequently for long periods of time, but if executed, tuned, and used appropriately I imagine it could have no long-term detrimental effect. However, if it were me I would probably want to get the motor put back together and all straightened out and running good in stock form before thinking about adding modifications. Makes it easier if you end up having any issues to diagnose after getting it on the road -- limits the scope to what's already there, rather than having to wonder whether you might also have introduced a problem in any of the non-stock components that were added.

One thing -- I would plan on taking a close look ASAP at the front of the crankshaft and timing belt gear and assessing them for damage. Given your description of how the motor failed, I think there is almost 100% likelihood you will find that the timing belt gear slips or spins on the crank. Combination of a broken cam with an intact timing belt more or less guarantees that engine timing slipped somewhere, either front cam sprocket came loose or crank sprocket spun on crank due to insufficient torque on center bolt or missing/loose allen screws securing balancer to crank sprocket. Failure at the crank is much more likely because without special tools it is close to impossible to get enough torque on the center bolt, this is unfortunately a fairly common way for these motors to get hurt. More than likely whoever put that last timing belt and headgasket on is responsible for what happened. You want to be sure to find and fix the cause for what broke it before you get it running with the new head!

Sounds like there's quite a group of members in the Northeast on the site these days, at least a couple in the boroughs of NYC, one or two in Boston, and also a couple I believe in Maryland and maybe in Virginia as well. We have been talking about organizing a meet-up for members here in the Northwest for a long time; maybe about time to think about a gathering back East too? Get enough people together, you guys could have this 240 put together and on the road in a weekend...