View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Welcome to the forum!

She knows that you`ll have a second wife. I`m glad you ended up here with your dieseling plans. Thanks in advance, for waking up the sleeping monster. Of course we all want to see pictures of the progress!
I`m happy that someone showed up from the hood. I hope you get it running very soon! There`s a `sticky` with HG part numbers, in the `Drivetrain` section of this forum.
Isn`t it a strange feeling to think about it that the car was already 23 years old 8 years ago? but it Will run again. You will find a huge amount of great info here. Good luck and keep us posted!

You`ll find several threads here about revived d24(t) engines that had been sitting for years.
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...engine+runaway

We really want to see the video of your startup!
I would pay serious attention to the timing belt. Not to forget a possible runaway situation caused by a malfunctioning injection pump (too much fuel I guess).
A friend had this issue with his d24t long ago but he managed to avoid damage, he blocked with a rubber mat or something, idk, and then he was very happy because shutting off the car with key did not work and he smoked up his garage like kraZy.
That car actually sat a couple of years before. When put on road again, for a while it just had multiple issues-- stuck rings (terrible smoke, bad starting, low on power, at least one bad glowplug, ip messed up, misadjusted -by him-), way too tight valves, low compression, a constantly clogged fuel filter (dirty fuel used: `HTO`= `household heating diesel`, very low quality as a fuel, very acidic, not filtered and too thick) , peeing nozzles=not spraying nicely, 10W40 regular engine oil, also, ran from a bottle under the hood, etc etc ...ha-ha, you can imagine how bad condition his starter was in. (I used to help pulling him with a rope to get his brick started...m46 power ) If it started, it came with huge white smoke, then a non-stop black when warm. I told him not to play with the fuel screw and get the rear two glowplugs out. What a pile of neglected maintenance...
BUT that car finally ended up being a very nice survivor and I heard it`s still on the road with a fully rebuilt IP and a partially rebuilt motor. It`s a 1987 760gle factory td m46 sedan, I remember only because I had the same year&color (grey) Volvo that time (1996?ohh).

I can`t wait for your pictures!

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-13-2013 at 09:38 PM.