View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 1982 240GL
Default D24 NA snapped camshaft

Hello, I have a 1982 Volvo 240 GL ( D24 NA) with a snapped camshaft. I bought this car about 8 years ago in this condition from a garage who towed it off the Cross Bronx Expressway. The mechanic from the garage told me that the previous owner claimed that the timing belt and head gasket were just recently installed prior to the failure and they did appear to be intact. The plan was to fix the car, but other things came up. I removed the head, bought a used one with cam on ebay and have the green books. The wife is now threatening to junk it, so I'm determined to get it running. The car has very low miles and the body is in mint condition.

My questions:
1. Can you guys guide me in the right direction on the repair or suggest another site who does non-turbos?

2. Is it possible or feasible to add a turbo to this engine?

The car has been sitting in my garage for about 8 years with the head removed. Today I cleaned the block a little and put some oil in the cylinders. Next I will turn the engine over to determine how far the pistons protrude from the block so i can order the correct head gasket. The gasket that was on there was a 2 notch. If anyone is interested, I could post pics as the job progresses. I would sure appreciate any advice. Thanks, Harry