View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post

I put back about 2 and a half liters and the stick shows approx half capacity filled.

I cleaned the motor, the above pics shows the new leaks.

On the second pic, we can see oil coming from something around the water pump I guess..?

I have to double check everything. The dripping does not happen while the motor remains idle...

I have to say, and I`m sorry for saying it: that engine is absolutely not cleaned yet )) and unfortunately it is very hard to guess anything from the pictures you are showing. Maybe you could take better pictures and from other angles?

Please note:

All of this will sound very basic to you but believe me it is worth mentioning bc it is important:

The dipstick has the marks which are MINIMUM and MAXIMUM, yes.

but

it is not the minimum amount and the maximum amount in terms of capacity. It`s rather THE minimum level* you must maintain
AND THE maximum level that you should not exceed, as suggested by the factory.

The difference between the two marks is exactly 1 liter worth of motor oil!

IF/when the dipstick shows `maximum oil level` , that means you have plenty of motor oil inside the system, at full `suggested capacity` which is EXACT 7liters (=7.4 US Quarts) and that`s the perfect amount of oil to have in these engines (all of this is measured on a confirmed COLD engine and car parked on LEVEL ground)

and

the minimum mark on the dipstick refers to a current oil volume of 7-1=6 liters. There is no harm done if you run the engine with the engine oil levels down to not lower than that minimum mark.

((There is also no engine harm if if you ran the engine a little bit overfilled, by about 0.5-0.75 liter worth of oil on top of the maximum mark on dipstick.
Some cars with low compression and very cold climate may benefit from that, especially if there`s lots of coldstarts on a regular basis.))

Oil in the intake is not a sign of something very bad unless it is a huge amount of oil and constantly filling the intake up as you see oil `going missing` at a higher rate through driving a few hundreds of miles only.

If you needed to add 2.5 liters of engine oil to reach half way up on the dipstick, that is telling me that you were 1.5 liters BELOW the minimum level. Follow me... if you are at half way on dipstick, that means you have 7-0.5liters=6.5 liters in the motor *now*. That means you ONLY had 4 liters in the motor before you filled it with some 2.5 liters. Right? That`s a lot of oil to be `missing`.

Now, before you drive it again, you MUST figure out right away, what caused this low level and how and where it is happening.

Do not drive this car for a single mile before you solve this issue.

QUESTION:
When was the timing belt job?
I`m asking bc you should be able to figure out this:

- how long it took for the oil level to go down this low.
(measured in time and measured in miles driven)

That would give an accurate guess about how serious the leak is.
Maybe you took note of the odometer miles before or after you did the front belt?

Anyway. If you totally clean the engine, you will finally be able to spot the leak and start fixing the issue.

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.