View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Yeah your video def sounds like you have the `bad injector thing` that I had.

I never took apart the bad injector that caused me the sounds that seem identical to the sounds in your video, but once I took out the bad one and installed another good injector, bad sounds disappeared and all the knocking was gone...

Then another injector did the same in a few 100 miles, I also did the same, again, and the sounds disappeared.

I probably had a bad luck on 2of6 injectors, that`s all. They were the GTD versions BTW. They were set to 170 not 155 and they ran so great and all sounded great for about 2000 miles only, then 2 of 6 injectors quit being healthy.
Your knocking sounds like you have one of the 6 injectors bad.

My car sounded exactly the same, even worse, much worse, when one injector started acting up.
If you have the patience to take the injector apart, you may find it that the internals are simply misaligned. But once you take them apart you must follow torque specs for the two halves and retest the injector for factory settings, spray pattern and pressures, etc before installing it in the car again.

At this point im not sure you even did that earlier so that could be the case but correct me if im wrong.
I also really wish to find some place where i could send a set or two, of injectors, to get them rebuilt in a surgically clean environment and by a pro, as it always should be done BTW. On the internet, currently available nozzles seem to be all from the wrong places and the wrong quality and not stock.

Ideas welcome.

PS. When my injector gave up and I heard the bad knocking sounds, I drove the car very gently to arrive home to diagnosed it.

One by one,

I loosened the fragile hard lines on top of the injector. One at a time. The car was running. I wanted to figure out which injector was giving me trouble. Dont let fuel touch on the coolant hoses.

My knocking sounds were only present when I increased the rpm, not at idle! At idle the car was normal and no knocking.

So I loosened the 1st hardline and revved the engine gently to see if I can hear the knocking. Yes there was knocking so it was not injector #1.

Then i gently tightened it back to torque specs and went to the other hard line and raised rpm to see if there was knocking.

By the time I reached the 5th injector, I knew it was that injector bc I raised the rpm and heard no knocking (because the hardline was loose and rpm raised and NO KNOCKING)

Fortunately I was able to take out injector #5 relatively quickly ... thanks to the tilted injector pump position.

Report back on the project. Nice truck!

Last edited by RedArrow; 04-14-2020 at 09:13 AM.