View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default OD disengages itself while driving

Issues with the m46, I believe, became known as `typical Volvo problems` that are very familiar among all those who ever had one. Interesting that my OD started living its own life again, also making decisions by itself... Issue: When I drive through rough surfaces that shake the car, or, when I hit a pothole/larger bump; then the 5th gear disengages by itself and I have to press the button on shifter to get back to normal (5th)... And it always takes it nicely and smooth & goes back to 5th the way it should. This frustrating action of jumping-out-of-5th thing *never* happens on flat roads. Can this be related to a worn transmission mount at all? I know that my tranny mount has been replaced not too long ago by someone very reliable. So now I`m wondering what causes this uncomfortable `in-and-out` thing.
(Btw, I want to mention here that it does not put itself *back* to 5th... only simply gets out of 5th by itself, at those mentioned circumstances).
Is there an easy way to remove 4th gear switch from transmission for inspection when the car is lifted? (As far as I remember there`s no great access to that without removing the tranny but I might be wrong about that.) I actually hate this thing to happen at or above 60mph.
Oh please, also, write suggestions on what`s the proper (highly suggested) type of tranny fluid to be used in the manual m46 transmissions. Thx!

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-02-2013 at 06:34 PM.