View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg View Post
This is very true. Taylor, you might want to check the current injection pump timing too. If the timing is retarded, or just very off, it can cause higher than normal engine temperature.

v8volvo: Is the change in head bolt the only modification needed to use an early head on a later block?
So I believe, but haven't tried it and don't plan to so I cannot say for sure. I don't know of any differences other than the headbolt size and, ostensibly, the capacity of the prechambers which are supposed to be 2 cc larger on the very early cylinder heads.

Timing would have to be pretty dang far off to affect engine temp in a consistent way like this. I can see it contributing to a hot running condition if the symptoms only showed up at high revs and/or high load and/or high ambient temp, but it should not make it run warm when just loafing around town or idling on a cool day, as this car apparently does. I suspect there may be a cooling system component that is out of order -- thermostat, air bubble, rad, etc.