View Single Post
Old 07-27-2023, 09:51 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
The oil consumption has gotten considerably worse, recently.

About a week after switching to the synthetic oil, (Rotella T6 5W-30) the oil consumption has increased to 1 quart every 150 miles. (Versus the initial consumption of 1 quart in the first 400 miles)
Guessing that the oil control rings are not doing their job. Could be many reasons.
Poor quality
Incorrect size
Incorrect orientation
Poor cylinder prep and/or honing
Faulty break-in procedure

Quote:
From what I gather, piston soaks generally only clear the top two rings and do not significantly help the oil ring, is this correct?
Sorry I have no experience with piston soaks, nor about their utility on a fresh rebuild.

Quote:
Is the oil consumption too high to consider valve seals as a potential culprit?
(The head has new seals, etc..and was checked for leaks prior to installation)
Not sure

Quote:
Yesterday, I re-torqued the head studs back to 125 ft-lbs.
Any chance that this could have been affecting the consumption or damaged the MLS head gasket?
If the head gasket was leaking that much oil externally you should be able to see it pouring down the side of the engine. Or it would be filling the coolant reservoir. Not sure if the oil pressure could get high enough to enter the cylinders.

Quote:
The oil leak from the valve cover stopped after I removed it and tightened the cover studs.
This is confusing me. I had recommended double-nutting setting the VC studs but you stated the leaking was at the filler cap.

Are you able to perceive any bluish oil haze in the exhaust?