Thread: Glow Plug Relay
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 02:17 PM

my fault is that the glow plugs just run constantly, i cannot get the relay to reenergise without disconnecting it from either ground or the blue ign live.

measured voltage (expect you didnt mean current as i can't think how you could test the current to it without a bit of a faf) since it's easier than resistance given that i was testing the other signals at the relay for their voltage in different states anyway. regardless, my results seem to agree with the resistance you're suggesting i should have (high voltage when engine is cold and low when hot) so the issue doesn't seem to be there.

i know my wiring harness isn't great near the GPR particularly, the connector on the bottom of the relay is actually particularly bad and i've had to resolder all the connections into it, and bodge a replacement for one of the terminals that I simply couldn't resolver to anymore, but I'm sure it's all working. this issue is confusing and also quite annoying, especially seeing as working GPRs don't seem to be easily available to just whack one on to try!

the more i think about it i think the issue is probably a component failure on the PCB of the Glow Plug Relay, so i think i'll have a look into the circuit on the PCB to work out how it works, maybe one of the ICs that are on it is a proprietary timing chip in which case i'll try that first. whatever it is i'm sure i can refurbish the entire circuit board for less than the cost of a new Relay!

Richard