View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Fresh ATF for power steering pump

I took the 99cents turkey baster and got rid of the majority of fluid of the ps pump.
Filled it up with fresh DexronIII (Peak) ATF and watched for air bubbles after startup. I did not see any air coming out of the system but the steering is still not Volvo-like. After a few days the new ATF did stop 90% of the leak that was caused, I think, by the front seal of pump). I loosened all the ps mounting bushings too and moved the pump around, many times... and tightened them back. The lower bushings are worn, so I will have to replace those. After tightening the belt a bit and changing the position of the bushings (turning them slightly) did help some. I also put a foam-type thick ring on the pump`s `neck`, just under the cap to avoid effects&results of vibration and get some of that ATF held back if a possible leak does happen in the future. Now the belt is not that much misaligned any more but I`ll have to get the new ps mount bushings and also, I will order the kit and reseal the pump hopefully soon. When having this setup removed already, probably I should get a new belt too although it is not (yet) eaten on the edges. What`s the best/suggested/preferred type? Thanks!
Ps. I will flush the ps fluid ( =ATF) again tomorrow, that might help some.

Last edited by RedArrow; 03-04-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: My bad grammar