View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default RESEALED SAGINAW PS pump with a $14 Gates kit which is found also for $7

[QUOTE=v8volvo;6236]
The fluid leak is probably a separate issue, very often on these old power steering pumps the main O-ring that seals the pump housing to the reservoir gets tired and starts to leak after a while. Fortunately it is quite easy to get parts to fix it since the pump is made by GM (Saginaw) and is shared with many GM vehicles from the '70s and '80s, hence extremely common.... CarQuest sells a pump rebuild kit for under $20 that is applicable for the D24 power steering pump, part # 35039, and replacing the seals is relatively easy especially if you already are going to have the pump removed to replace the mount bushings.
The kit comes with pump shaft bushings, etc as well but the pumps themselves seem to never have any issues at all, only the leaky seals so I have never used the bushings.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info on the part number.
I found it as GATES 350390 and finally got it done because the reservoir usually looks `shiny and just a little wet` on the bottom area. A `leak` usually happens only in the Winters so I decided to do it in time. The kit has 12 or 13 parts in it, bushing and seals/o-rings etc as you mentioned.
I didn`t take the entire pump apart fully, I decided to leave it alone and only used up a couple of seals from the package, I think I used up only 5-6 rubber seals total.
The largest, main o-ring was the cause, I think. All orings were also hardened and kind of square-shaped or `flattened out`. The largest oring broke into 3 pieces when I inspected it... it was time for this reseal to get done.
Of course the rusty looking parts got cleaned up and painted, nothing should go back on the engine looking crap or oily.

I should`ve added a new PS belt too, but I was lazy to deal with the alternator belt (I use the tightening method you shared here to install&tighten it properly to avoid slipping). I didn`t run the engine while the PS system was taken apart and I did fill the reservoir back up right after finishing the job.

But now I still can`t get the air out and something is holding it from being bled out.
Maybe you have a trick or something? Am I missing the point here?

I followed this advice I found online, with no success. The fluid is topped off (warm engine) to the proper level. The annoying part is that when I did the reseal I haven`t really ran the car at all in the first place to get air in the system.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ste...edingProcedure
I did what it suggests and had it done 2-3 times at least, for both sides, twice.
Then with the engine running. Then again, without much change at all. The fluid level rose a little bit when I did that first.
Maybe I should get the car on jacks to have it done easier.

I haven`t removed any components such as tie rod ends etc and IDK why it suggests doing that for the bleeding.
All I did was removing the reservoir for the reseal.
yes, it may have introduced air thru the two hoses but does it have to be so hard to get it out? Also IDK what type of rack this d24t has.

Ideas welcome and thank you.

( Is that magnet supposed to just simply be randomly floating around in there? )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200711_193612.jpg (589.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200711_201504.jpg (578.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200711_202659.jpg (524.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200711_214548.jpg (349.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200712_151649.jpg (469.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-14-2020 at 08:25 AM.