View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default 6y later the power steering bushings needed replaced again

I had time to do these 3 bushings again.

This time they aren`t the URO brand but made by REIN (sent by fcpeuro).

I didn`t see any crack on the bracket which is great news.
I took my time to clean the entire area. The unit leaks a little but it all adds up over time, right? I should `rebuild` it at some point (needs new internal seal).

The most annoying things always been that I could not get the freaking belt run completely straight and flush with the other pulley.
It always has been an issue on this car.

I figured a solution that worked. I think there was some warpage or substantial wear in the lower eyelets of the bracket.
The belt always ran misaligned, new belt and new bushings never fixed it either.

Today I grabbed a file and filed away at the upper hole, made it more straight and tried to figure the best and most efficient angle for a proper alignment of the belt.
At the upper hole I filed the most at the side of the hole which is closer to the engine (=passenger side of the bracket, right right of the car but left as you face cylinder 1). At this upper hole I filed the pass side much more than the driver side. I filed more at the top of the hole and a little at the bottom portion of the hole. I tried creating an angle and a slight tilt. Thinking about the force too that the tightened belt creates on that weak looking arm that holds the reservoir away from the engine.

Then I filed the bottom eyelet/hole and created the same angles by filing most at the top portion and concentrated on the left side of the hole which is the side closer to the engine (passenger side of the car)

By the time these two holes all seemed very much aligned and okay, I reinstalled the reservoir using the 3 new bushings, new washers where needed. I noticed that there are some sides where a washer would limit protrusion and deformation of a wearing bushing in case it wore too much the washer would `hold it in`and wouldnt let it completely deform and climb out of its own shape. I added some.

The project turned out to be really successful and I saw the aligned belt immediately after finishing the assembly.

All in all I probably had to file away 3mm at the very left of the upper hole , 2mm at the right side of same hole and about half of that at the bottom hole. I always adjusted the filing to the driver sides of the holes too but didnt file away much at all at the driver sides.
In my case the upper hole needed the most material taken away and it all became so great. It sits so nice and never been that aligned and holding strong and nearly zero vibration which wasnt the case even with the recent new bushings earlier. Grabbing the reservoir by the top and trying to force it out of the way but I could not. Super stubborn now, it improved by a lot. the front faces of those 3 holes were definitely not flush with each other. And all of that was visible.

What came out:
The old bushings that I removed were not completely toast but
the upper one was super hard and really deformed, took the shape of the wrong angle of the front face of the upper hole of the bracket.
The bottom two bushings were in bad shape too but not hardened rather they became too soft, prob worn away by fluid, mist of oil and atf that seeped out of the reservoir as fluid leak through several years.
The front bottom bushing was prob in the worst shape. The rear lower bushing was trying to hold but disintegrated and started to split around the larger edge. Created mostly by the pull caused by unnecessary misalignment.

By filing at the bracket I created a really nice angle that lets the belt stay aligned even if you overtightened the belt so much that it pulls super hard against the slotted adjusting bracket/arm (just a test).

This small touch up will definitely help it hold against the crazy vibration and heat we have under the hood.

Basically what I did was achieving a microscopic lol clockwise vertical `twist` in the reservoir vs the old position on the ps bracket... And a few degrees tilt at its top (towards the rear of the car) and some tilt at the bottom eyelet hole too, all of these obviously in synchro and level with each other. The changes are so minimal that it wont affect anything, instead it got so much better indeed, I wish i did this many years ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-19-04-08-45.jpg (13.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-19-04-10-53.jpg (10.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-19-04-14-08.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-05-19-04-12-09.jpg (7.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-19-2020 at 07:45 AM.