View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 AM

Right, good points. IDI diesels are far less susceptible to veg oil making it into/past the rings than DI diesels, but obviously they are not completely void from the issue.

I change oil every 5,000 miles (maybe sooner) and always use semi-synth. Last time was 10/40, this time 5/30 for the winter months. Before I started using Veg I also ran some BC109 through the oil before change - I will do this again the next time I change the oil.

Understood about ring coking. I think my engine may always have had low compression on one cylinder, as there is always a bit of a "shake" to the idle when warm - has done this since I bought it. I thought new nozzles had resolved it, but no. I am going to add water injection very soon which on the veg forum has been very successful in resolving ring coking, low compression, and crankcase pressure (blow-by) on several cars - mainly the Mercedes OM606 IDI's. I will be using it as a preventative measure, but also wonder if it will stop my "shakey" idle that I've had all along.

I have gone for a very small misting nozzle (1Gph), and a 65psi pump, so it should produce the finest mist (fog), so not for performance increase, just a "steam cleaning". I will give it a few motorway miles with it switched on (when the boost is 5psi+). If it does any good, I will get a boost operated switch and set it to 10psi.