View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
My engine hasn't been fired up in like a decade so there are no visible leaks. Only way to find out would probably be after I get it running.
Yup pretty much.

Quote:
I believe I have collected all the tools to do the timing. I got the Cam pulley holder, Injector line wrench, Timing indicator and adapter. Only tool I'm missing is 5201 but I'm hoping I can bend a wrench into shape for that lol.
Don't need the injector line wrench for setting the timing, unless you want to reclock the IP rotated further outward from the engine to make changing glowplugs #5 and 6 easier later on.

The preferred IP timing method does not rotate the IP. Instead you rotate the loosened rear camshaft pulley while it is still connected to the IP pulley via the rear belt.

Not too hard to bend a long combination wrench for the rear camshaft pulley bolt. Hot flame helps. Clearance is pretty tight up against the 240 firewall. In a 740 you can get away with a regular combination wrench as there is more space between the firewall and the rear of the engine.

Quote:
I don't necessarily have to remove the fuel pipes right?
No, not for timing the IP. And no need to loosen them if you are not rotating the IP body.

Quote:
Would you recommend resealing the IP if it's unknown that it leaks?
No I am not a fan of that. Are there stains or gumminess running down form anywhere?

Quote:
Also just remembered that I should replace all the front belts as well so I'm assuming I need even more special tools...
Yes, the crank bolt socket lever 5188 and crank pulley hold tools 5187, and camshaft lock plate 5190.