View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Looks great so far. What size are the pistons stamped? Sounds like they might have been oversized if it was rebuilt before, may want to double check the size for ordering new rings. Pretty clean inside overall!

One time I took the pan off a D24T and saw that it had several squirters broken off. When I got the engine the rest of the way apart, I discovered the reason for the broken squirters was that someone had attempted to use non-turbo oversize pistons during a rebuild, which do not have notched skirts to clear the squirter nozzles. Once the engine "rebuilder" figured out that this would be a problem, they took an angle grinder to the NA pistons and cut notches in the skirts by hand, rather than ordering the correct pistons! Some of their hand cut notches were not deep enough and they chopped the nozzles off. The ones that hadn't been broken had dents from getting kissed.

Anyway, now I think of a broken squirter as a warning sign, might want to confirm you have correct TD pistons in here.

Sharp looking wagon, white is a good color on these. Did the vinegar get the block that clean?? That's a new method to me, sure would be nicer than using solvent.

Nice well lit and spacious work space you have there too, sure beats mine.
The pistons are stock, I think 76.48 is what was stamped on them. The rings were in pretty good shape so I think they were new, although they weren't lined up correctly, some of the gaps were in the same location. You'll see in the following pictures the cylinders should have been bored but I just don't want to do that right now for lack of time. When the engine is installed and if I like the way it works and drives I'll have no problem taking it out again for some machine work. It's taken so much time removing frozen bolts, cleaning, wire wheeling, etc., that it will be much quicker next time. Plus I'm going to cut the grill metal, the front end of the car, so I can just remove that for a simple engine extraction. I've put rings in a far worse 1.6 and it ran pretty good so I'm not concerned right now.

I don't know why the squirter was broke off, some of them are pretty close to the very top of the piston rod, so maybe that's what happened.

I had to make a turbo piston for my 1.6 and I just hand filed the slot from an NA piston, it ran that way for about 50,000 miles just fine. That's the engine that was completely wore out as well.
1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg