View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Looks great so far. What size are the pistons stamped? Sounds like they might have been oversized if it was rebuilt before, may want to double check the size for ordering new rings. Pretty clean inside overall!

One time I took the pan off a D24T and saw that it had several squirters broken off. When I got the engine the rest of the way apart, I discovered the reason for the broken squirters was that someone had attempted to use non-turbo oversize pistons during a rebuild, which do not have notched skirts to clear the squirter nozzles. Once the engine "rebuilder" figured out that this would be a problem, they took an angle grinder to the NA pistons and cut notches in the skirts by hand, rather than ordering the correct pistons! Some of their hand cut notches were not deep enough and they chopped the nozzles off. The ones that hadn't been broken had dents from getting kissed.

Anyway, now I think of a broken squirter as a warning sign, might want to confirm you have correct TD pistons in here.

Sharp looking wagon, white is a good color on these. Did the vinegar get the block that clean?? That's a new method to me, sure would be nicer than using solvent.

Nice well lit and spacious work space you have there too, sure beats mine.