View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: VW LT28D

Hello.

I know I keep saying, 'Thanks for the reply' but I really do appreciate it as I'm learning all the time with this engine.
I'm either used to basic, old, VW air-cooled engines and some experience of newer VAG engines (I've had many newer VWs, Skodas, Seats and Audi's)

But this kind of 'middle section' of engines have passed me by : )

Anyway, thanks for all this info. I did consider the timing for greater pressure might be slightly delayed but, other than trial and error of advance / retard, over a period of time, I think, as you say, it would be almost impossible to ascertain pros and cons of running; unless it was awful and noticeable, which it isn't.

I could go nuts over this stuff. Your reassurance of no harm running these is great and I think I'll just see how it goes. It starts and idles better than it did. I've never even driven it yet, after just over two months of ownership!!

I have some welding to do for it's MOT (yearly government test for vehicle safety here in the UK) Hopefully once that's done I can drive it around and really see how it goes.

I think the timing belt / water pump will be done after this but before any serious travel - I just need to get it roadworthy first. Then I'll be pretty happy I've done what I can to make it as good as possible. It is almost 40 years old but has a mileage of around 120k, which isn't too bad and will hopefully be good enough for the time I'll have it.

Also, after all this I still have to rebuild the camper part; inside and out - re-framing, re-wiring, re-plumbing and on and on ...

I'll get there.

Cheers