View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I think you have it priced fairly, for a neat car in great shape. Doubt the lack of action is due to the price being off, rather just a narrow market for these cars in general and especially at a time when folks are tight on cash and nervous about the future.

I think you'd find a buyer for it on BaT or ebay. Or another option, add a turbo to it and then it will probably have wider appeal and sell for more. The one downside to these 3spd automatic D24s is that they are really limited in their performance capability, as you undoubtedly know. Not a big deal when they were new and 55mph speed limits were the rule, but trying to climb a highway mountain pass fully loaded at 80-85 mph as traffic does today is out of the question. As a result they are just not as practical for some uses as they would have been when new. Adding a complete turbo engine transforms these into a car with modern performance and might increase the potential audience.

On the other hand there's a strong argument for keeping it just as it is, since it's a well preserved example of the first year of production and the originality is part of the appeal. And the automatic D24 NA cars are great cruisers in less demanding situations, e.g. around town or calmer two-lane roads or even flat highways, where the stock performance is just fine. Really the only place they're out of their element is on a serious grade on a high speed interstate. So depending on the intended use they can be plenty adequate.

If it were me I'd try it on BaT, hopefully with a reasonable reserve if they'll let you. Or hang onto it if you can until (hopefully) the state of the world improves and people feel they can afford to buy classic cars for fun again.