View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default 8-speed m46 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1975 View Post
The shifter.
I've had no issues with the transmission other than first gear grinding and overdrive wiring issues.
It is very annoying that all of our wires got biodegradable by now. Bad quality.
The wires underneath the shifter and even the wires within.

I had to replace all, in fact I am still in the search for a "4th gear contact switch" (OD interruptor plug)... until then, the car is currently an 8-speed manual because I had to rewire the tranny so I can use the 5th gear without using the 4th gear contact switch (by switch I mean the switch itself on the tranny itself, below the chassis...not the button-switch on shifter).

The car works great this way, it is sometimes even fun. Except that it is dangerous and risky bc if the driver puts the OD on while in reverse gear, the tranny will not be happy, at all.
1, 1+od, 2, 2+od, 3, 3+od, 4th, 4th+od="5th"=OD.... 8 gears I barely use them though. I shift the regular way.
The 4th gear switch is reachable without lowering the engine/tranny. It is a tight space but it is very doable without any specialty tools.

Once I find a new 4th gear switch, I will reverse this 8-sp wiring project to get back to how it originally was, a 4speed with pushbutton OD.

Any progress on figuring out what causes your shifting problem and grinding (1st and 2nd gear)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4gear c switch m46.jpg (18.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-19-2022 at 07:08 PM.